Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Stages of Grief: Denial

For those of you who aren't familiar with the stages of grief...Elizabeth Kubler-Ross introduced five stages of grief and I'm here to tell you they suck, each and every one of them. The five stages of grief are: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. I'm pretty sure I've experienced each of these at moments but thought I'd start at the top today with denial.
First off, at times during the day it was easy to pretend that Willie was not dead because you see, when I'm at work it is easy to deny the fact that he is gone and I can pretend it didn't happen.
Brandon and I both decided that we didn't want to be present when Willie was injected which was the right decision for me but it is also another aspect that makes denial so easy. When Dr. Stephens came back into the examination room Willie was all wrapped up like a little package and we never had to see him dead which works well for me. I couldn't take the package because I was so sad so I made Brandon carry it out and then had the issue when we got to the car...what to do now.
I tried to convince Brandon to put him in the backseat but he wasn't going for that. So he hands him to me and I'm like, this is not Willie, it is too heavy to be Willie. Brandon tried to explain to me the theory of "dead weight" but I still didn't believe it. When I got home I weighed it, yes that is correct, I took the wrapped up package of my dead dog and weighed it and sure enough it was 8.5 pounds just what little Willie weighed but seemed so much heavier to me. I'm working through the denial and being at home makes it impossibly sad because there is no denying he isn't here and is buried in the back yard.

No comments: